At Photokina 2016 Panasonic announced they will be releasing Lumix GH5 soon. But there was little information regarding the camera specs. Finally, at CES 2017 Panasonic has unleashed Lumix GH5.
New GH5 comes with a 20mpx Four Thirds sensor without low pass filter, accurate AF tracking with new DFD technology. Furthermore, the 5 axis image stabililization system in the body is much smarter which is a huge plus point for video shooters. The stabilization system will also ensure less blurred images and will come handy in an unstable environment for photography.
The camera can shoot full 4K with 4:2:2 10 bit internal recording that levels it up with other powerful cameras. Along with that, GH5 can shoot photos in 6K with 30 FPS burst shooting option. The camera allows you to even do noise reduction before saving it.
Beyond The Grid by Neumann Films shot by the new GH5
One of the fun features that camera has is its amazing slow motion capturing ability. The new GH5 can film 1080p video at up to 180 frames per second. That means you can get HD footage at 6x slow motion. In short, it’s a perfectly upgraded version of GH4.
The camera is shipping in April, with a price tag of around $2,000. It’s a lot of money but we believe it’s worth it. You can pre -order it here.
Technical Highlights of the Panasonic GH5:
- Max Resolution: 4K/60p (Output Only)
- Internal 4:2:2 – 10bit
- 6K Anamorphic Video Mode (4:3)
- Slowmotion (Variable Frame Rate): Max of 180fps/23.98 in FHD
- Improved Auto Focus (0.05 sec AF, 9 FPS AF Burst)
- Large HDMI (Type A/USB 3.1)
- 3.2″ 1,620-dot Free Angle Monitor
- 4K Hybrid Log Gamma (4K HDR Video)
- Double SD Card Slot: UHS-II U3 (Vide grade 60)
- No Recording Time Limit
- Waveform Monitor Display
- Separate Video Menu Mode
- .MOV, MP4 (AAC, LPCM) AVCHD Progressive
- H265 encoding for 60/50p
- Selectable System Frequencies (59.94, 50.00, 24.00 Hz)
- Splash, Dust, Freezeproof Upto -10 Degrees Celsius
- Weight: 2.0 lbs
- Power: Same batteries as GH4
Interview with Panasonic’s M. Uematsu-san:
More videos on GH5: